Reiki (pronounced Ray-Key) is a system of natural healing involving the laying on of hands, and is probably thousands of years old! It is believed that the technique was first used by Tibetan Buddhist monks and was re-discovered in the 1800s by Mikai Usui. The Usui system of Reiki is a very simple but powerful healing technique that is easily given and received by anyone. Reiki can be defined as ‘Universal Life Force’. This is the most accepted interpretation of the word.
Reiki healing energy moves through the practitioner and dispels blocks and negativity before being channeled through to the recipient. Reiki treatments are given by the practitioner placing their hands in a number of easily learnt positions on the recipient’s body and allowing the free flow of the Reiki energy to pass through. Reiki has a way of naturally flowing to the area where it is most needed. Every Reiki treatment is different and persons receiving the treatment will report differing effects, such as increased warmth, or cold; or a tingling sensation. Whatever the individual’s experience, the general beneficial effect of the treatment is the same, with the recipient receiving the correct amount of energy to bring about the necessary changes to restore balance within.
- Is a gentle, but powerful “hands-on” technique, a method using universal energy for self-treatment and the treatment of others
- Is a natural healing method for restoring and balancing your life energy
- Complements – but does not substitute – the healing properties of all modalities including orthodox medical treatment
- Restores natural balance in the body
- Promotes deep relaxation, thus evoking sense of peace and well being
- Works on emotions, mind and spirit as well as the physical body
- Helps relax the body, balance the emotions, and clear the mind, reducing stress, increasing vitality and nurturing well being
- Is not intrusive. The Reiki energy will pass through clothing, bandages, braces, plaster casts, etc, and the recipient can therefore remain fully clothed.
To benefit from Reiki you only need to be open and willing to receive the energy.